Thursday, February 23, 2012

That's when I get the shakes all over me.  A couple quick things.  This is a speed post!  First, Raylene And The Blue Angels.  I picked up Destroy That Boy: More Girls With Guitars after hearing She Trinity's wild/proggy "Climb That Tree" on Mike Yates' Normal Happiness show on WITR (between that and Genevieve Waller's There's No Tomorrow show on WRUR, we're living in a very cool era for local college radio), and it's been on steady rotation ever since. Tons of highlights, and I maybe wanna talk about The Liverbirds' "He's Something Else" also. But Raylene and Co's "Shakin' All Over" will not leave my head.  You know this song already because everybody's done it (even Fugazi).  It could just be standard '60s vague coded hornyness, but I'm fine with that. And Raylene's voice sells it. It's rock n' roll fun and there's a sax, and again, anxiousness and getting all fired up and excited (all meanings, I guess). Would go nicely on a tape with Link Wray, The Monks, Brenda Lee, Ohio Express, Tommy James, etc. Also, rock n' roll literally means sex. I hope everyone knows that.

Raylene and The Blue Angels - "Shakin' All Over"

Elsewhere: When I think of Dirty Three, I think of the time I listened to Ocean Songs almost in its entirety on the way home from my friends' wedding a few years back. Not typical celebratory love music, but there it was. "The Restless Waves" almost made it on a lot of mix tapes around 2005, for whatever reason. And then I kind of drifted away from anything post-rock-y and had to listen to the Ramones, Modern Lovers, Buzzcocks, early Stones, et al, like a purging of anything with long melancholy sweeps, anything way over 3 minutes. "Rising Below", from their upcoming record, sounds good now. Maybe it's the weather (steady, not freezing, grey)? The long drives to work? Silver Mt Zion just played in Buffalo, and I thought about going to that. There's a comforting looseness about Dirty Three that I don't find in the Godspeed/Mt Zion stuff, though (or didn't, it's been a while). It's almost surprising Dirty Three manage to get to the part of the song where it gets intense and crazy. But they know what they're doing, and when you realize they weren't just fumbling through the chaos, it's a treat. There's something broad and nuanced going on, some kind of Frontiersman thing, some grown men concerns. Maybe I'm just thinking about how they look. I have to say a full album of meandering, cascading instrumentals might still be tough for me to get through. But this 5 and a half minute easy-going slow burst feels right.

Dirty Three - "Rising Below"

More elsewhere: I've been going back to Weasel Walter's '70s mix regularly because it's way too good. Also, all of the best bootlegs are probs on Doom & Gloom From The Tomb. I know this Neil Young live boot is the best shit, and this collection of Television demos and influences is solid (even if you have minimal interest in Television, the first disc is a quality mix).  Also, I got this Prince zine for my birthday and it's really good.  Kind of "Intro to Prince" crash course and "Guide to later era Prince stuff you were wondering about". ALSO, Rookie Mag posted up this clip of X doing "The World's A Mess; It's In My Kiss", which you might know as one of the greatest songs of all time by one of the greatest bands of all time. High time someone talked up Exene Cervenka.

4 comments :

kaci said...

I heard that the A Silver Mountain Zion show was a bust... doodz are dicks.

I saw them in 2005... at sound lab. wasn't anything to write home about. they took forever to play. I stood around for 4 hours.

Kaitlin said...

YEAH! They played amazing but LORD the main guy (Efrim?) was a mother frieken asshole. I think his band was embarrassed of him.

brayden said...

i'm not sure if i've made this official yet or not but this site is my main source of music...not too mention some pretty awesome writing (for example these 4 boss words put together, "some grown men concerns")...by someone who has proven over & over again to be a great writer. somewhere out there exists some journal(s) that my eyes would love to read just once...know i'll never get the opportunity but i'm just sayin'...they're out there-they exist! at any rate...matt-please continue to do your best to keep up with all this awesomeness...when you've got time ("time"-quick backup vocal from the cars song "just what i needed")...heh.

werts said...

brady: I will be your record store! also, I don't have any journals. pretty sure I threw all my journals away. who needs 'em?

kaitlin: I thought I read something once about him being kind of lame. sucks, I always liked Godspeed. that poor band!

kaci: let's make sure Dick Snare is never like that. let's make people wait like 10 minutes tops and then give them a good show.