Friday, March 02, 2012


Some belated notes on Davy Jones. The Monkees were my first favorite band, the first I identified as clearly being the coolest. I spent hours on the green shag carpet of our TV room watching re-runs of their show on some local Fox affiliate,  and I remember telling a friend of my sister's that Davy was my favorite, although I think I switched to Mickey because he was funnier and I thought his songs were better. I remember walking down the streets of Toronto as a 6-year-old, holding a Monkees 45 my sisters had just bought me because they were especially cool (still are). Years later I started a band called The Chuds and we wrote a "Chuds Theme Song" because the subliminal power of the Monkees was THAT STRONG. As a high school straight edge kid who mostly wanted to listen to S.O.A., I didn't enjoy/understand Head at all, didn't want anything to do with it. I saw it again a month ago (as a 32-year-old Genny drinker who still wants to listen to S.O.A.) and I could not have been more wrong--it's one of the greatest movies of all time. You need to see it. So good and so fucking funny. Anyway, you should know that The Monkees were great, and that Davy was great. Here are a couple clips I saw in the past few days that I watched multiple times. RIP RIP RIP.



2 comments :

brayden said...

if one were to combine both of these videos-it'd pretty much be a chuds video...& for the record-sean is the one i picture dancing with the umbrella-hah.

werts said...

hah sean would have to be the dancer. why didn't we ever make a Chuds video? probably because we were lazy.