Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Get it up and also get it on.
(sigh)....Harvey Milk's long out-of-print 1998 album The Pleaser was on my ultimate Christmas wishlist last year, a list that included mostly impossible, impratical gifts that I had no intention of receiving in my lifetime, and which I anticipated my children or my children's children might devote their whole lives to tracking down, a la the movie National Treasure. But lo and behold, here it is! It's a St. Patrick's Day Christmas miracle! On their last recorded effort before disbanding for several years, the Milk dudes trade their sludgey, white-spaceness ("musical chinese water torture to the uninitiated", as Henry H. Owings describes it) for some unbelievable KISS/Zeppelin/ZZ Top shit, albeit KISS/Zeppelin/ZZ Top shit that's obviously being played by Harvey Milk. It was also apparently done as an attempt to kill indie rock, which basically exalts this record to someplace higher than what my assessment of higher could be, someplace (like everything else they've done) beyond essential.

Harvey Milk - "Misery" (from The Pleaser)
Harvey Milk - "Shame"(from The Pleaser)
Harvey Milk - "Rock & Roll Party Tonite" (from The Pleaser)

Song of the day is Andy Kim's 1974 hit, "Rock Me Gently". I had a weird thing for the snippet of this song that was featured in an ad for a Hits of the '70s compilation that ran in the fall of 1996. It's got a certain Neil Diamond, good-time feel, and I can't say no to Neil Diamond good times.

No comments :