Wednesday, March 07, 2007

We've got the fever down at Hooper's.
Although I don't have any specific memories of boogie-ing down to it as a kid, I like to think I seriously cut a rug to 1978's Sesame Street Fever--the amazing Robin Gibb-assisted disco concept album featuring most of the major players (Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, The Count, and someone named Marty?). I say "concept album" because apparently its about disco fever sweeping through and infecting the residents of Sesame Street and causing them to "go down to the disco to...boogie", as Grover puts it in "Has Anybody Seen My Dog?". Sounds good to me! It really does sound good, too, particularly the tracks on side B, which include Robin Gibb's absolute stunner (not kidding) "Trash", Cookie Monster and the Girls' deeply funky, celebratory "C is for Cookie", and Marty and Grover's gut-wrenching tale of love and loss that's sure to make you move your feet, "Has Anybody Seen My Dog?". Not sure if this is still in print, so enjoy!

Cookie Monster and the Girls - "C is for Cookie" (from Sesame Street Fever)
Marty and Grover - "Has Anybody Seen My Dog?" (from Sesame Street Fever)
Robin Gibb - "Trash" (from Sesame Street Fever)

Song of the day is either Daniel Johnston's take on "I Saw Her Standing There" or The Rolling Stones' "Emotional Rescue", which is admittedly a much better video. Video of the day is Delfin Quishpe's "The Twin Towers" (lyrics here), no question.

No comments :