Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Peanut butter on my pants.
I'm going to pause the Harriet the Spy talk and talk real quick about the Kids Soundtrack (maybe this should've been talked about last week?) because I got thinking about it today. I know when I first saw that movie I had to rewind the first part over and over again just so I could hear that Deluxx Folk Implosion song, "Daddy Never Understood". Did anyone else do that? How fucking awesome is that song? When that mellotron part (or whatever it is) kicks in? Fuck. I don't even remember what else happened in that movie. Who cares? That song and that soundtrack (which also includes a bunch of "regular" Folk Implosion songs, Slint's absolute destroyer "Good Morning Captain", and a couple Daniel Johnston songs that are more tolerable 10+ years later) wound up providing the soundtrack (literally) for summer '96 in Newark, NY--which included long stretches of not having my parents around, Drivers Ed classes, and repeated viewings of 1991: The Year Punk Broke--and probably ranks in my top five favorite soundtracks of all time. If you have this, the Take a Look Inside... record, the Pole Position single, and the DFI 7", you're totally set for life as far as Folk Implosion stuff goes.

Deluxx Folk Implosion - "Daddy Never Understood" (from Kids: OST)
Folk Implosion - "Jenny's Theme" (from Kids: OST)
Folk Implosion - "Raise the Bells" (from Kids: OST)
Folk Implosion - "Summer's Over" (from the Pole Position single)

Song of the day is Ennio Morricone's "Una Pistola Per Ringo". Video of the day is Prince KILLING SHIT at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago (go to the 3:30 mark).

No comments :