Tuesday, January 23, 2007


The British Calendar Act of 1751.
I was pretty excited reading that thing with Tim Kinsella in the last issue of Skyscraper--where he lists his 10 favorite things of 2006 or favorite things in general--because he mentioned he'd gotten really into Bill Fay this past year, just like I did (especially Tomorrow Tomorrow and Tomorrow, in my case). I guess I would've been excited if anyone had said they'd been obsessing over Fay around the same time I was, but when its someone who's been in a bunch of bands I really like and who's currently in the crazy math fun-fest called Make Believe and who called for every band mentioned in an issue of Alternative Press to break up immediately, the excitement goes up a few notches. I don't mean to focus entirely on Tim Kinsella--everyone in Make Believe is irreplaceable and incredible. This is especially true after seeing them live--guitarist Sam Zurick plays melodic to atonal computer systems (with no signs of fatigue) like nobody I've ever witnessed, drummer and wurlitzerer Nate Kinsella plays drums and wurlitzer at the same time better than most people do one or the other alone, bassist Bobby Burg never stops moving or singing (with no signs of fatigue) like no one I've ever witnessed, and of course Tim Kinsella screeches, croons, and dances Peanuts-style as he sees fit. It makes perfect sense to me, but I know it often causes people to throw a serious hissy. Here are a couple of tracks--"Political Mysticism" (which at first reminded me of Circus Lupus' "Cyclone Billy") and "Sometimes I See Sideways"-- from this past fall's Of Course to bolster your position one way or the other.

Make Believe - "Political Mysticism" (from Of Course)
Make Believe - "Sometimes I See Sideways" (from Of Course)
Circus Lupus - "Cyclone Billy" (from Super Genius)

Song of the day is "Le fille du pere Noel" by Jacques Dutronc, courtesy of the Teardrops Mixtape I got with my Soiled Mattress record. aaaAAAHHHHH the French.

No comments :