Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It was lobster season.
As weird a time as this is to be a Dischord fan (why am I not excited about any of their new releases??), they actually put out one of my favorite records of last year with Soccer Team's "Volunteered" Civility and Professionalism. It sounds a bit like Beauty Pill or Smart Went Crazy out-takes with someone like Liz Phair singing on half the songs which...fuck it, that sounds awesome, actually. And they bring some much-needed freshness to the studio project/girl-boy/side-band game, which I had assumed was impossible (because I thought people wanted their boy-girl duos strictly crappy). Oh and I guess I should point out that the band is a duo made up of Ryan Nelson (Beauty Pill, The Most Secret Method, Routineers) and former Dischord employee Melissa Quinley, otherwise that last thing isn't going to make sense. Whoops. I don't know, I get more jazzed about this record everytime I listen to it. But don't take MY word for it:

Soccer Team - "We Closed a Record Store" (from "Volunteered" Civility and Professionalism)
Soccer Team - "Cavity Called Home" (from "Volunteered"...)
Soccer Team - "'Volunteered' Civility and Professionalism" (from "Volunteered"...)

On a related note, the song of the day is Lee Hazelwood's duet with Nancy Sinatra, "Some Velvet Morning", which really feels more like two different songs stitched together than a proper duet. Its crazy, and I like it.

No comments :