Thursday, February 01, 2007

Smokin' bones in the staircase.
For the past couple weeks I've listened to almost nothing but the first of El Michels Affair's Shaolin Series 45s (where they do incredible full-band instrumental covers of Wu-Tang classics), which features their brilliant re-interpretation of the gold-standard classic "C.R.E.A.M." on the A-side, and a jaw-dropping take on Raekwon the Chef's "Glaciers of Ice" on side B. Anything Wu-related is an easy sell for me (they're basically the starting point for my love of hip-hop, or re-starting point, I should say), but this shit is seriously GOLDEN. Thank you, Truth and Soul. El Michels Affair is what every soul/funk band should sound like--like they're straight out of the late '60s/early '70s and wicked wicked dusty. I think they're my new favorite band, or they're at least giving Soiled Mattress a run for their money. Its a tough call. But these jams are more guaranteed day-brighteners, life-exciterers, etc.-- so don't dawdle:

El Michels Affair - "C.R.E.A.M." (from The Shaolin Series Vol. 1)
El Michels Affair - "Glaciers of Ice" (from The Shaolin Series Vol. 1)
El Michels Affair - "Behind the Blue Curtains" (from Sounding Out the City)

Song of the day is the songs I was just talking about. Video of the day is Talking Heads' "Crosseyed and Painless", which I guess I never saw because I fell asleep the one time I tried to watch the DVD from the Once in a Lifetime set. And speaking of Talking Heads and that video and sleep--I had a dream last night that I was visiting my friend Andrew at work, and I was telling him about the video, and he was pissed because he wanted to see it but he didn't get out of work for a few more hours. And I was like, "You'll just have to wait." and it sounded EXACTLY like the part in "Stereo" (go to the :37 mark), and we both thought it was pretty strange.

PS -- You have until 12:35 PST on February 4th to snag your copy of Harriet the Spy's Anthology of Selected Recordings. What's that? You don't need it? Ummm, did you read the song titles?

No comments :