Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'll show you my endzone dance.
I try to champion Bastro as much as I can, even though I feel like a tease championing a band whose records aren't readily available, apart from the Antlers: Live 1991 record (which is more of a Gastr Del Sol practice tape) and random eBay listings. The situation was remedied briefly back in early 2005, when Drag City re-issued their two proper full-lengths--1989's Diablo Guapo and 1990's Sing the Troubled Beast--as a one-disc set, but even that cd fell out of print by the end of that year, leaving only the tiniest of windows to easily grab a copy of the best collision of the Minutemen, mid-'80s DC hardcore, and abrasive Big Black-ish stuff you will ever hear. Its seriously ridiculous, if not criminal, that these two records--not to mention their remarkable debut, the Rode Hard and Put Up Wet EP--aren't widely available, and I hope Drag City or somebody, anybody! decides to re-remedy the situation. Sing the Troubled Beast feels a little more anthemic, if still schizo, like a Revolution Summer spent locked in a sweltering basement; Diablo Guapo alternates between outright noise frenzy and goofyness, and gets more incredible on every listen. You should just start scouring the interweb for copies of these jams, you won't be disappointed (unless...you can't find them, I mean). Oh and its also worth pointing out that the dudes behind all this were David Grubbs, John McEntire, and Clark Johnson (but not this Clark Johnson, as far as I know), who have all done many, many other great things.

Bastro - "Demons Begone" (from Sing the Troubled Beast)
Bastro - "Noise/Star" (from Sing the Troubled Beast)
Bastro - "Engaging the Reverend" (from Diablo Guapo)
Bastro - "Decent Skin" (from Diablo Guapo)

Song of the day is No Trend's "Human Garbage" and I want to send it out to Tom Fields, Linda Warner, and everyone who lives in my neighborhood.

No comments :