Monday, February 05, 2007

Try to be right in whatever I say.
Speaking of Talking Heads again--before the release of their Once in a Lifetime best-of box set (and its counterpart--the shorter, best of the best-of The Best of Talking Heads) in 2003, there was 1992's two-disc Sand In the Vaseline collection. And while it lacks the beautiful packaging, genius video program, and about a third of the tracklist of the Lifetime set, Vaseline does include one mad crucial song, "I Want To Live", not found on any other Talking Heads collection (or album, to the best of my knowledge). Working with the same line-up (Byrne, Weymouth, Frantz only, I think) and production set-up as the probably more well-known, brilliant pre-77 /demo track, "Sugar On My Tongue", "I Want To Live" completes what I imagine in my head to be one of the best singles never actually released from the pretty much flawless New York punk scene of the mid-'70s. If they'd never released anything other than these two tracks, they would still be one of my favorite bands of all time (although I guess I'm glad they went on to make a shitload more great songs and basically every great video ever.):

Talking Heads - "Sugar On My Tongue" (from Sand in the Vaseline)
Talking Heads - "I Want To Live" (from Sand in the Vaseline)

Song of the day is Harriet the Spy's "This Music Festival Sucks", in honor of the little album nobody wanted. Feel free to replace the words "music festival" with "motherfucking deep freeze I can feel coming in through my not-so-good bedroom windows". I need some plastic sheets to seal them up. Videos of the day are Dr. Dog's "My Old Ways" and even more Nation of Ulysses. Oh and VBS is up and running!!

No comments :